"She was an artist and her life was her canvas."-unknown

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

My Grannie

This week has been tough week for my family. My grandmother was taken to Mobile with some major medical complications. She has been sent back to my hometown in the care of hospice. During this time I have been finding myself with great memories of my Grannie.

Lottie Marie Dixon is my Grandmother’s name. She is one of the toughest ladies there has ever been. I cherish so many things that she has given me. I first thank her for the love of the Earth. She loved her yard, and the bountiful plants are living proof. I think of the Pecans this time of year that came from the backyard (we bent over a many of times). The Spider Lillies that were in the front yard, they came up at the first of the school year, I loved them. My love of the “FIGS” came from her and her yard. Mmmm….my mouth waters with the thought. The Bridal’s Wreath that lined the drive way, the Lillies that lined the front sidewalk and near the lamp post, oh, and the Collard Greens in the plants in the side of the carport…if there was dirt she would plant. She also was a recycler, and I bet she didn’t even know it, she had big barrels on the edges of the house to catch the rain so she could water the plants. This has really gotten popular now, but, I am thinking she could have almost invented this idea. I remember her teaching me to dig potatoes, shell peas, and wrap butter beans. She was gardener extraordinaire. I am so thankful that I get it, I understand her love of planting and growing things. She used to tickle me when we would pull off the road and pick up plants to replant in her master piece. She did not mind stealing a plant.

She also loved to cook. I think of a few of my favorite things. One meal that was popular, was Spaghetti and Meatballs…with real coleslaw and a biscuit. It was a while before I realized other people did not eat coleslaw with Spaghetti. We ate plenty of catfish from the pond. Oh well…how about milk and cornbread…however I believe she had buttermilk. Yummy! Pecan Pie, yeah I think that Nikki (my sister) has conquered this art from Grannie. I wish I had learned to make biscuits like her. Her kitchen was sorta small, but we always had fun playing in her kitchen late at night when she went to bed. We would scrub her cabinets that had the little gold flakes. I use to love the cutting board, that was hidden into cabinets. I remember the ceramic roosters that sat on top of the fridge (which it is suppose to be good luck). Oh, the coffee that she would make for me with all that sugar and creamer. I thought that I was something with that mug. I loved the grill cheese (made with hoop cheese) that she made in the oven that had sugar sprinkled on top. I always thought that she was funny with the tinfoil that she would save in the cabinet, I really think that she would wash it.

The table in the kitchen held many conversations. If someone came to visit they more than likely sat at this table. I don’t think I have ever seen the actual wood but on the legs. She kept it covered well. The cards and mail sat in the center. I am sure that Grannie may have a permanent knot on her left elbow from resting on the edge of the table.

I loved staying at her house. I have really great memories of the den in the winter time. That is where Grannie conducted her manicures. She always had her nails done. I use to love and sit with her and paint my nails. She also crocheted in this room. Many blankets and bedspreads were birthed in this room.

I remember sleeping in her bed. It had little knotches in the top of the head board that I would use to pretend that I was playing the piano (which I can not do). Speaking of her room, I use to love to play with the cube that turned and played music that had pictures of Dad’s college graduation. I loved playing in her jewelry. She loved pearls, beads in general she always wore to an event. I loved jewelry.

Another thing that I use to “pilfer” (as she would say) was her makeup drawer. I use to sit on the toilet and open her drawer, and go for the red lipstick in the black tube. Oh and the powder in the glass jar on the back of toilet. I used to powder my derriere and leave out of the pink bathroom with a cloud of powder behind.

In the attic was her Christmas tree. She had the really big lights on her tree. The garland had my interest; it was like a string of tinfoil. You could crunch it up. Only in rare occasions would I be allowed in the attic.

The front bed room was for sewing. She made most of her wardrobe. In this room I performed my very own first hair cut. I guess it wasn’t too good, because I ended up with a boy cut after that. I never really sleep in this room. I usually sleep in the back bed room. This room makes me think of the hot summer nights. You see it was a long time before they ever used the air conditioning. They had it, they just did not use it. At night, I would pull my hair up over the pillow, and my neck would cool off. We slept with the windows open and the ceiling fan would be shaking.

Many memories were made at my Grannies that I will never forget. That carport and rocking chairs have seen so many friends and family members. I would do anything to visit a day back when I was little. I would get Grannie to watch me run down the hill one more time, I would paint my nails one more time, I would stroke her lipstick on my lips one more time, I powder my ass with every last speck, I would ask more questions, and would pray that day would never end. I have been very blessed.

More than anything my Grannie loved her 4 grand-girls. We were her pride. She would go to every function that we would drag her to. She also would drag us around here and there too. I swear she skimmed the weekly paper to see if we were in the paper. She was always so proud of us. I remember her mother, and likewise Aubrey will remember her. I am so blessed to have shared my Grannie with Aubrey. As we go through this hard time in our life, we ask for your prayers!

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shan said...

Christy, that is so tender. She loves us all so much and it will be hard when the time comes. Your memories are precious and your love for Grannie shines through your words. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

So proud of you sharing your memories! Love you so much!

Christy Gray said...

Shan, Thank you! I am thinking about you too!!! Such a sad time.

Anonymous said...

oh Christy You are so sweet this brought tears to my eyes love you guys..Heather H